The windows were aluminium, side hung casement windows of a style no longer in production and the key challenge was sourcing replacement parts.
This required a great deal of investigation by our in-house technical team to identify suitable suppliers and parts to enable the contract to be completed.
One example of this was where the gaskets needed to be sourced to match other existing gaskets which were to be retained. In the end we worked with our supplier to extrude a bespoke gasket in a dedicated RAL colour to match the site requirements.
The contract also required new restrictors to be fitted to all second-floor windows. These products were not readily available on the market but we eventually sourced a supplier in New Zealand and the parts were ordered up.
Closer to home was the need to find a supplier for a limited number of replacement windows to replace some of the existing ones which were damaged beyond repair, and which were no longer readily available in the market.
Working with the contractor, what we did was to identify a number of windows that were no longer going to be required after the building remodelling, so these were used to replace the damaged ones – recycling in action. This still left two to be replaced. A Sheffield based supplier was found who manufactured a bespoke fixed window almost identical to the 20-year-old window that we were replacing.
Throughout the project we were required to work alongside other contractors which we did successfully. Our engineers were among the first people onsite and among the last to leave. The final job we completed was to change the Threshold on the aluminium entry doors.